My photo

My photo

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Day 3

Monday's volunteer experience was just as great as the first. I have really been enjoying my time here and I am so happy that I have been able to impact the lives of these little ones. During this last one, my main job was to hold one of the little boys. All of the kids (except for the littlest one) were very sick and they all had runny noses and coughs. The one I was holding was sick, too and I got to hold him while he was drinking his bottle. While this was going on, there was a mom in the room nursing with the youngest baby. I was told that the littlest one has trouble drinking out of a bottle, so her mom needs to come in to nurse her in the afternoons. There was also one other woman in the room who I did not recognize and she seemed to be a nurse or a clinician of some sort. The nurse was asking the mom questions while she was nursing and although I couldn't hear what she was asking her, it was most likely about helping the new mom care for her baby.
The one I was holding fell asleep in a funny position on my lap and it was adorable. He was laying on my lap, but he was tummy up with his head on the top of my knees and had his legs near my stomach. He fell asleep while looking at the decorative ceiling lights. He woke up really startled at one point and looked around, but then fell immediately back to sleep. One of the twins was sitting in the corner of the play area in between a cabinet and the corner of the wall. He looked comfortable, but he was watching us and playing with the toy he brought with him. There weren't as many babies there this time as there were last time because I think that since it was President's day, the parents did not think that the daycare was open. 
Snack time is my favorite time to watch the babies because they all sit in the special table in their seats lined up next to each other. The instructor will put food in front of them and they will eat theirs and even snatch some from their friend next to them. The instructor will read them books and also give them each a toy to play with, but most of them just end up throwing it on the floor anyways. I feel like the goal of this place is to have content babies, not necessarily to educate them, but more to make sure none of them are crying. I have never truly experienced raising a baby so I have no idea about the different ways they can be educated at this age. It's just an observation I made from last Monday. Should we be doing more than just trying to keep them from crying and staying distracted until they get picked up?

No comments:

Post a Comment